From July 2014 through September 2019, HKI led USAID’s flagship program, the Morbidity Management and Disability Prevention Project, working primarily in Burkina Faso, Cameroon, and Ethiopia as well as at the global level. With national Ministries of Health leading program planning and implementation in each country and support from in-country implementing partners (Sightsavers in Cameroon and RTI International with the Fred Hollows Foundation and Light For The World in Ethiopia), the project brought life-changing trichiasis and hydrocele surgery to tens of thousands, giving them a new chance at life. At the country level, the project also strengthened systems to improve morbidity management; trained hundreds of surgeons and other health care providers; expanded data management systems to better track both those in need of care as well as those who receive services; and ensured that all services, especially trichiasis and hydrocele surgery, were of the highest quality and incorporated WHO’s standards and international preferred practices.
In addition to the life-changing achievements at the country level, the project made important contributions at the global level. By documenting lessons learned, investigating promising practices, and sharing knowledge widely, the MMDP Project improved data availability and use, filled gaps in the trachoma and LF knowledge base, contributed to operational research, and devoted considerable effort to developing tools and resources that the international community is already using in trachoma and LF programs in other countries. Below is a list of those resources, many of which are available in French.
- Training Trichiasis Surgeons for Trachoma Elimination Programs [Version Française]
This preferred practice manual for trainers of trichiasis surgeons contains information to help a trainer prepare for and lead a training workshop. The manual is intended to facilitate and standardize the process and quality of training new trichiasis surgeons and trichiasis surgeons who undergo refresher trainings.
- Procurement Calculator for Trichiasis Management [Version Française]
This calculator quantifies the amounts of drugs, disposable materials, and durable goods needed for quality trichiasis management. The calculator is designed for both Trabut and BLTR methods of surgery.
- Photographing Eyelids Before and After Trachomatous Trichiasis (TT) Surgery: A Resource Package
This package highlights the use of photo taking before and after trichiasis surgery to help surgeons, technical supervisors, and national programs improve TT surgical quality. Contents include how to photograph eyelids and how the photos can support surgeon skill strengthening.
- Epilation Counseling and Training Guidance [Version Française]
This two-page guide contains guidelines for providing epilation counseling to trichiasis patients who decline surgery, where forceps are provided for epilation as an alternative TT management strategy.
- Tracking Geographic Coverage of TT Management Services [Version Française]
This two-page document explains how to develop a tracking tool to assess relative geographic coverage of trichiasis management services within a defined area.
- Monitoring of Surgical Quality, Patient Satisfaction and Data Quality During 3-6 Month Period Following Trichiasis Surgery [Version Française]
This protocol includes sample questions for assessing post-operative quality, data validity, and patient satisfaction during the 3-6 month post-operative window.
- The costs of monitoring trachoma elimination: evaluating the costs of trachoma impact, surveillance, and trachomatous trichiasis (TT)-only surveys
Published in 2019, this article assesses the incremental financial cost to the national program of TIS, TSS, and TT-only surveys. The article was led by RTI International, with the MMDP Project contributing costing information from its support of a TT-only pilot survey in Cameroon.
Lymphatic Filariasis (LF)
- Filaricele Surgery Training Package
This training package provides instructional materials, including videos, for conducting hydrocele surgery. The package includes optional modules on usage of the FASTT surgical simulator.
- Procurement Calculator for Hydrocele Surgery [Version Française]
This calculator quantifies the amounts of drugs, disposable materials, and durable goods for high-quality hydrocele surgery. The calculator includes a provision for hernias.
- FASTT Manufacturing Manual [digital version or print version]
This manual provides detailed, step-by-step instructions, complete with photos, for manufacturing the Filaricele Anatomical Surgical Task Trainer, also known as FASTT. The FASTT is a hydrocele surgery simulator that allows surgeons to hone their skills on an inanimate object before conducting live surgery on a patient.
- Procurement Calculator for Lymphedema Management [Version Française]
This calculator quantifies the amount of drugs and supplies needed for high-quality lymphedema management and to treat acute attacks.
- Lymphedema Management Video and Training Guide
This video and accompanying guide (with handouts) provides supplementary instructional materials for community health workers and other trainers conducting a training on lymphedema management.
- Lymphatic Filariasis Patient Identification Job Aid
This two-page, illustrated guide provides guidelines for identifying cases of lymphedema and hydrocele in the community.
- A Delphi consultation to assess indicators of readiness to provide quality health facility-based lymphoedema management services
The Delphi consultation provided an efficient and structured method for gaining consensus among lymphatic filariasis experts around key lymphoedema management quality indicators. The results from this analysis were used to refine the indicators included within the direct inspection protocol tool to ensure its ability to assess health facility readiness to provide quality lymphoedema management services.
- ICTC Resources
- Standard Operating Procedures for WHO Validation of Trachoma as a Public Health Problem