HKI EuropeEn Français
Click Here to Donate in Euros
HKI Europe: A Brief History
- Helen Keller International was founded in Paris in 1915 as "The British, French, Belgian Permanent Blind Relief War Fund" to help veterans blinded during World War I.
- In 1998, HKI reopens an office in Paris with the dual purpose of raising funds and visibility in Europe. HKI and HKI Europe are affiliated, non-profit non-governmental organizations registered in the U.S. and France respectively and are united in a common mission to prevent blindness and reduce malnutrition. HKI Europe works in close collaboration with HKI and its 22 national offices in Africa, Asia-Pacific and the United States. According to the source of the funds secured, the implementation and management of field projects are co-executed by both entities.
HKI Europe: Main Activities
- Since 2001, in partnership with Total E&P Myanmar, PTTEP, UNOCAL and MOGE, HKI Europe supports a program to prevent blindness in Myanmar. Current efforts are focused on enhancing cataract surgery capacity by providing equipment, consumables, maintenance and training. Daewoo E&P Myanmar, United Engineering, Myan Shwe Pyi Tractors Limited, Asian Foundation for the Prevention of Blindness and the Japan, British and German Embassies in Yangon have co-financed the project.
- From 2003 to 2011, Essilor has provided financing support to the Vitamin A supplementation program in Mali. In 2012, with co-financing from Rail Europe, a pilot project was launched to develop a training platform to improve refractive error service capacity in rural China.
- In 2012, with funding from Fondation Bel, HKI implemented a homestead food project in Côte d’Ivoire.
- In 2013, HKI Europe receives two grants from Fondation L’Occitane to prevent and treat trachoma in Burkina Faso.
- Since 2007, HKI Europe has obtained 10 grants from the European Commission supporting projects in eye health and nutrition in Niger, Burkina Faso, Mali, Senegal, Democratic Republic of Congo, Cambodia and Bangladesh.
- With the purpose to raise awareness and funding, HKI Europe hosts an annual Special Event at L’Olympia Bruno Coquatrix Hall in Paris with 1,800 guests in attendance.
45-47 rue Vineuse
Office and Postal Address:
34-36 rue Guersant
75017 Paris- France
Telephone + 33 1 47 64 11 30
Email contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Follow HKI-Europe on Facebook!