- One in four adolescents in the United States suffer from common vision problems, such as nearsightedness, farsightedness and astigmatism.
- These vision problems can often be corrected with a simple pair of eyeglasses, which can be out of reach for children living in poverty.
- Without eye glasses, children with vision problems struggle in school and sometimes misbehave in class out of frustration.
- Poor vision may even lead a child to drop out of school as a result of chronically poor academic performance.
Helen Keller International recognizes that eyeglasses are as essential to learning as pen, paper and books. Our innovative ChildSight® program serves at-risk children living in urban and rural poverty in five states across the country by offering free vision screenings and eyeglasses to "bring education into focus™". ChildSight® overcomes the two biggest barriers to childhood vision care: prohibitive cost and limited access.
- Every year in the United States, ChildSight® travels to public schools from California to New York.
- We screen children on-site to determine their vision correction needs and, within a week, deliver new glasses to those who need them - at no cost to the children or their families.
- If more extensive treatment is required, children receive an immediate referral to a nearby ophthalmologist.
- Since its inception in 1994, ChildSight® has screened more than 1.7 million students in the U.S. and has provided free eyeglasses to more than 243,000 of the nation's most vulnerable children.
- Teacher and student surveys have shown that a majority of children who received ChildSight® eyeglasses exhibited a significant increase in class participation, a reduction in disruptive behavior and a dramatic improvement in self-confidence.
- ChildSight® is currently active outside the U.S. in Indonesia, and Vietnam.
Partnership in Action
In addition, the online optical company 39DollarGlasses.com is donating thousands of pairs of eyeglasses in support of the ChildSight® Ohio program. Thanks to these incredible partners, ChildSight® continues to provide children with clear vision to help them excel in the classroom and beyond.
Miss our recent #ChildSightChat on Twitter? Check out the Storify chat summary for tips and resources surrounding children’s eye health.