Onchocerciasis ControlEn Français
- Community-Directed Treatment
with Ivermectin (CDTI)
- Treatment Integration
- Because redundancy is the enemy of efficiency, HKI constantly strives to maximize the impact of individual programs and strategies that can be applied to multiple challenges.
- Those who suffer from onchocerciasis may have other health needs that HKI’s programs can also address.
What HKI Is Doing
- The CDTI volunteer networks that distribute the drugs that prevent and treat onchocerciasis are now simultaneously delivering drugs to control other Neglected Tropical Diseases (NTDs) such as lymphatic filiariasis. NTDs are a WHO-recognized category that includes onchocerciasis and trachoma, among others.
- In some places, the CDTI community health workers also distribute vitamin A capsules, screen for cataract, and provide primary eyecare, further enhancing the health of their communities.