Meet Our Experts
Regional Director, West Africa
Nutrition, Food Security and Food Fortification, West Africa
HKI Africa Regional Office
- Panelist, IFPRI 2020 Policy Consultation and Conference, May 2014, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
- WHO Conference for Integrating Nutrition into National Agriculture Plans, Presenter, Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso
- West Africa Regional CAADP Nutrition Program Development Workshop, organized by The New Partnership for Africa's Development (NEPAD) and The Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO), Senegal Country Team Facilitator, Dakar, Senegal
- Food Security in Southern Africa: Causes and Reponses from Across the Region, Presenter, organized by the Sothern African Regional Poverty Network, Pretoria, South Africa
- Quoted, "U.S. Embassies, at your service around the globe," The Washington Post, March 2014.
- Co-Author, Private-Public Partnerships Drive One Solution to Vitamin and Mineral Deficiencies: “Fortify West Africa.” SCN NEWS, United Nations Standing Committee on Nutrition, No. 39: 44-44.
- Co-Author, Thriving public–private partnership to fortify cooking oil in the West African Economic and Monetary Union (UEMOA) to control vitamin A deficiency: Faire Tache d’Huile en Afrique de l’Ouest, Food and Nutrition Bulletin, vol. 33, no. 4 (supplement), The United Nations University, S310-S320.
- Co-Author, “Food Security Challenges in Post Conflict Angola”. In: Food Security in Southern Africa: Causes and Response from the Region. (Scott Drimie, ed.) Les Cahiers de l ́IFAS, no 3, june 2003. Institut Français d ́Afrique du Sud.
- Co-Author, “Les Brise-vente de la Maggia et de Maïguizaoua (Tahoua/Maradi, Niger).” In: Le Sahel en Lutte Contre la Désertification (René Marceau Rochette, ed.). CILSS/GTZ.
- Author of several successful grant proposals for development projects which obtained funding from the Governments of the United States, United Kingdom, Norway, Netherlands, the Commission of the European Union, Unicef, and others.
- Author of organizational strategic plans, sector strategies and performance measurement frameworks.
- Master's of Science, Natural Resources Policy Analysis, University of Washington
- Bachelors, Political Science, University of Michigan
- Former Peace Corps Volunteer, Niger
- Order of Merit “Chevalier,” Republic of Niger
Douglas Steinberg joined Helen Keller International as Deputy Regional Director for West Africa in December 2009 and is currently serving as Regional Director for West Africa. He recently crossed a career milestone, celebrating 30 years since he first stepped foot in Africa – in Niger in July 1983 as a Peace Corps trainee. In the years since, Douglas has accumulated experience in Africa and Asia. After serving as a Peace Corps volunteer in northern Cameroon, he worked with CARE, a leading international relief and development agency. Beginning in 1986 as a project manager with CARE in Niger, he later worked in Mali and Bangladesh, and served as Country Director in Niger and Angola. Douglas has also worked as Senior Program Officer responsible for international programs for The Lemelson Foundation, a private foundation based in Portland, Oregon (USA) that promotes invention and appropriate technology. Douglas has also served as Country Director for Save the Children in Angola.
Douglas' professional experience has spanned program and operational areas including disaster and emergency response, natural resources management, food security, health and HIV/AIDS, micro-enterprise development, appropriate technology, governance, policy analysis and advocacy. His experience also includes organizational development, including strategic planning, performance measurement, staff development, structural review, salaries and benefits review, and promoting gender equity policies.
In 2002, he was honored by the Republic of Niger with the Order of Merit “Chevalier” for work to promote gender equity in Niger.
In HKI, Douglas' area of responsibility covers Burkina Faso, Côte d’Ivoire, Guinea, Mali, Niger, Senegal and Sierra Leone. He recently assumed the position of chair of HKI’s Senior Management Team.
Want to connect with Nancy and Douglas? Contact the HKI Media Team at email@example.com.