Meet Our Experts
Vice President, Eye Health
Home Base: HKI Global Headquarters
New York City, United States
- Leadership Meetings, International Agency for the Prevention of Blindness Council of Members Meeting, Participant, Brighton, UK
- Neglected Tropical Disease NGDO Network Meeting, Participant, Brighton, UK
Recent Press and Publications
- Letter to the Editor, New York Times
- Co-author, American Journal of Ophthalmology, 11 Feb;151(2):192-4. Diabetic retinopathy in the developing world: how to approach identifying and treating underserved populations.
- Chair, Diabetic Retinopathy Working Group, International Agency for the Prevention of Blindness
Nicholas Kourgialis, Vice President for Eye Health, provides administrative and programmatic direction and oversight for HKI’s eye health programs worldwide. HKI’s eye health programs seek to eliminate avoidable blindness and visual impairment due to cataract, refractive error, trachoma and onchocerciasis and also to support integrative education and rehabilitation efforts for visually impaired children. Eye health programs are currently conducted in over eighteen countries in Asia, Africa and the Americas. Mr. Kourgialis joined HKI in December of 2003. He brings over eighteen years of related experience to his work at HKI, having spent his career specializing in public health and social service interventions addressing the needs of disadvantaged children. He is based at headquarters in New York City.
Home Base: The Johns Hopkins Hospital School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland
- Co-Author, Beliefs and Adherence to Glaucoma Treatment: A Comparison of Patients From Diverse Cultures. J Glaucoma. 2013 Jan.
- Co-Author, Variations in iris volume with physiologic mydriasis in subtypes of primary angle closure glaucoma. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2013 Jan.
- Co-Author, Difficulty with out-loud and silent reading in glaucoma. Invest Ophthalm Vis Sci. 2013 Jan.
- Co-Author, Perceived difficulty of various steps of manual small incision cataract surgery among trainees in rural China. Clin Experiment Ophthalmol. 2013 Jan.
- Co-Author. Prevalence and associations of cataract in a rural Chinese adult population: the Handan Eye Study. Graefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol. 2013 Jan.
- Co-Author, Analysis of anterior segment dynamics using anterior segment optical coherence tomography before and after laser peripheral iridotomy. JAMA Ophthalmol. 2013 Jan.
Education and Training
- BA, Yale University
- MD, Harvard Medical School
- MPH, Johns Hopkins University School of Hygiene and Public Health
- PhD, Johns Hopkins University Department of Epidemiology
Other Leadership Positions
- Director of the Dana Center for Preventive Ophthalmology, Wilmer Eye Institute, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore Maryland
- Alfred Sommer Professor of Ophthalmology, Wilmer Eye Institute, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland
- Professor, Department of International Health, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, Maryland
- Honorary Professor, Zhongshan Ophthalmic Center, Zhongshan Medical School, Guangzhou, China
- Member, Singapore Epidemiology of Eye Disease (SEED) External Advisory Board
Want to connect with the Eye Health team?? Contact the HKI Media Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.