VAS Program Manager, Nigeria (Local Hire)
Helen Keller International
VAS Program Manager, Nigeria (Local Hire)
Established in 1915 with Helen Keller as a founding trustee, Helen Keller International (HKI) works to save the sight and lives of the most vulnerable and disadvantaged. Headquartered in New York City, HKI offers programs in 21 countries in Africa and Asia as well as in the United States. The organization combats the causes and consequences of blindness and malnutrition by establishing programs based on evidence and research. Each year, their programs directly benefit millions of people, and children are a primary concern. HKI programs address malnutrition, cataract, trachoma, onchocerciasis, refractive error and diabetic retinopathy. HKI has over 700 staff and a worldwide annual budget of over $50 million.
Under the supervision of the Country Director, VAS Program Manager oversees the strategic development of multiyear activity plans and budgets, execution, monitoring and evaluation of HKI Nigeria’s programs funded by the Canadian International Development Agency (CIDA) to ensure consistency with the national strategy and HKI corporate priorities and outcomes.
Reports Directly to: Country Director
Supervises: Nutrition Officers and Monitoring and Evaluation Officers
- Oversee the strategic development at a National level of CIDA programmatic strategy including development of minimum standard M&E framework including outcomes, outputs standardized activates and indicators, Performance Implementation Pathways, and programmatic guidance on activity implementation with support from the regional team.
- Provide strategic guidance to support implementation of nationwide bi-annual VAS through Child Health Days/Weeks and integration of VAS into routine care
- In collaboration with the Promotion Expert, provide technical assistance on nutrition issues related to the scale up of growth and consumption of orange-fleshed sweet potato in Nigeria through the Reaching Agents of Change project.
- Contribute to development of national and state level nutrition strategies Identify gaps in existing nutritional strategies and recommend remedial action. Review and edit strategies, policies and documents as requested by partners and the Ministry Of Health
- Plan and implement programs to train health workers, and NGO and Community Based Organizations, partners in nutrition fundamentals; micronutrients deficiency control, infant and young child feeding, and other related nutrition topics. Collaborate with partners to develop IEC strategies and tools to support nutritional programs.
- Coordinate and manage full time or part time staff and consultants hired to support HKI’s programming for the CIDA grant including reviewing performance and ensuring developed targets are met.
- Work with VAS team and Regional team to develop, pre-test and implement programmatic components including communication strategies, training review and quality control, supportive supervision, procurement and logistics of implementation.
- Monitor budget expenditures for CIDA grant in Nigeria and manage project cash flow requirements; ensure tracking of expenses and complete monthly cash flow requests for National level for CIDA grant.
- Manage budgetary allocations for CIDA 6279 grant with CIDA funding including expenditure against forecasting, additional requests and reallocation of budget to meet programmatic needs.
M&E and Research:
- Develop, coordinate and oversee all formative research and evaluation activities within CIDA grant for HKI Nigeria along with support from Regional Office. Continual M&E activities such as supportive supervision, training quality and PEC survey will be monitored by the RMA with guidance and support for modification of standardized M&E tools for country level work.
- Led analysis and reporting on data from surveys, assessments and program monitoring rounds
- Oversee development of materials to disseminate findings and lessons learned for HKI projects for advocacy with decision makers. Materials may include the social mobilization toolkit, lives saved tools and cost effectiveness calculation handouts.
- Lead VAS team to review data and findings from M&E activities to inform programmatic strategic design.
- Share lessons learned and results with regional office and HKI through central repositories: Kellernet/Dropbox
Reporting and Dissemination of programme data:
- Contribute to the preparation of annual reports, country program profiles, periodic progress reports, donor progress reports, program statistics and other materials that may be required
- Provide technical support to CO teams to build the capacity of MOH staff in consolidating, validating and analyzing VAS data, ensuring that corrective action points are done based on monitoring data. Work may include providing assistance with data quality audits and development of specifically advocacy materials based on findings.
- Prepare and disseminate data at appropriate national and international forums including publication and presentations.
Advocacy for micronutrient and nutrition programmes for Nigeria
- Work closely with the government and key stakeholders to advocate for MNCHW and VAS program, coordinate and liaise with key players at national and regional levels (Governments, UNICEF, UN/NGOS, Universities and relevant tasks forces or committees).
- Support the Government program through initiatives that may include, formation of a task force, policy formulation including development of specific guidelines, act as a resource person in Nigeria for HKI for micronutrients and nutrition
- Facilitate and support advocacy meetings/activities and organize technical or programmatic workshops at the national and sub-national level as needed.
External Relationships and Partnerships
- Coordinate relationship with partners, participate, organize and facilitate national and regional level workshops, meetings, working groups and conferences as HKI’s VAS representative in Nigeria.
- Maintain relationship with colleagues at HKI and other nutrition partners for the implementation of CIDA VAS programming, including sharing of lessons learned and synergistic development of strategy for delivery systems.
Management and coordination
- Interface with other program managers in the coordination of all eye health/NTD and RAC project activities for HKI-Nigeria.
- Coordinate activities and staff working on CIDA VAS program
- Conduct performance management and daily supervision of tasks as appropriate
- Carry out additional tasks, as requested by the Country Director or any other senior officer(s)
- Minimum of Masters degree in Nutrition, Food and Dietetics, Food Technology or Bachelors in Nutrition, Biochemistry, Medicine or Health Related field and Masters in Public Health (with a focus on Nutrition)
- At least 5 years experience in nutrition development programs
- Demonstrates technical knowledge pertaining to job requirement
- Able to work under pressure minimal supervision and able to meet up deadlines.
- Ability to use computer software such as Microsoft office, internet Must possess good interpersonal skills and a good team player.
- Exhibit strong leadership and decision making skills
- Demonstrated excellent personal integrity and confidentially
Applications are to be forwarded to firstname.lastname@example.org by close of business 2 weeks from day of publication. Applications received after 5pm on the day will not be considered. Please note that only applications submitted electronically shall be considered.